Lately I've been craving comfort food and for me, that's Filipino food. It reminds me of my childhood, there's nothing like it. Arroz Caldo (Filipino Porridge) calls for glutinous rice, something I never used before so I did some research, it's called sweet rice & some call it sticky rice. (Click on the link to see the brand I use) This is the rice that will give you that thick porridge consistency, IT'S SO GOOD! It has such a good ginger-garlic taste, I promise you won't be disappointed!
Avocado Oil to Saute
1.5 lbs Chicken Thighs
1 Yellow Onion, chopped
1 Knob of Ginger, peeled & sliced
1.5 heads of garlic
3 scallion stalks, chopped
1c. uncooked glutinous rice
5-6 cups water
6 eggs, soft boiled
Fish sauce to taste Salt & Pepper, to taste
Lemon wedges to serve
Fresh cilantro to serve
1. Heat a generous amount of avocado oil in a large pot, saute onion, half of the garlic, some scallions until translucent.
2. Add chicken, when browned, remove and set aside.
3. Add uncooked glutinous rice, stir, and coat well. (Toast for a few minutes)
4. Pour Water, add chicken & ginger slices.
5. Cover slightly & boil for an hour, stirring every now & then to prevent rice from sticking to the bottom.
6. Meanwhile, heat avocado oil in a pan on medium heat & fry the rest of the garlic until golden brown.
7. Once soup has thickened to a porridge consistency, remove chicken, cool & remove meat from bones & shred into small pieces.
8. Stir meat back into pot, season with salt & pepper.
Serve with: Soft Boiled Eggs, Lemon Wedges, Scallions, Cilantro & Fish Sauce to taste.